Addiction takes a toll on a person’s body, mind, and relationships. If you love one of the millions of people in the United States living with untreated addiction to drugs or alcohol, you probably understand the worry, anger, guilt, and anxiety that can accompany this condition.
Despite how you feel about your addicted loved one’s actions, you likely want to do anything you can to support them when they decided to get treatment. Choosing to start an addiction treatment program is one of the most important and life-changing decisions a person will ever make. If someone in your life has been using heroin and is ready to start treatment, your support can help them get the most out of their time in the program and give them the best chance at a fresh start.
You may wonder how to best support a loved one during heroin rehab. There are many things you can do to help, from offering practical support to simply offering a non-judgmental ear.
If you or a loved one requires substance abuse treatment or support during any stage of recovery, you are not alone. Reach out to the staff at Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment for information about the high-quality, adaptable substance abuse treatment programs we offer.
Signs Your Loved One Needs Heroin Rehab
When a person develops an addiction to heroin, their life quickly begins to revolve around the drug. In a short period, the majority of their time, money, and focus is spent on getting and using more heroin. Heroin addiction has many behavioral and physical symptoms.
- Being secretive or hiding their drug use
- Aggressive or erratic behavior
- Mood swings
- Increasing isolation
- New friends quickly replace old ones
- Falling behind at work or in school
- Legal trouble
- Unexplained financial difficulties
- Needing more of the drug to get the same effect
- Changes in appearance–including sudden, drastic weight changes
- Neglected hygiene
- Track marks
- Drug paraphernalia–glass or metal pipes, syringes, balloons, baggies
If you notice any of the signs of addiction in yourself or someone you love, reach out to the staff at Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment for information about how to get life-saving addiction treatment.
What Happens in a Heroin Rehab Program?
High-quality addiction treatment programs address the physical, emotional, and environmental factors that can make it hard to heal from addiction. In most cases, treatment happens in stages.
During a medically-supervised detox program, people are monitored and treated for uncomfortable or dangerous withdrawal symptoms. This may include medications, supervision, and holistic treatments to support the body’s detoxification and healing.
During heroin detox, your loved one may not have access to a phone or the internet, so they may not be able to contact you for the first few days of treatment. This “no-contact” period is meant to help your loved one get adjusted to the detox and treatment environment.
High-quality substance abuse treatment programs give people the skills, support, and resources they need to manage their addiction and avoid relapse. A heroin rehab usually consists of:
- Individual therapy
- Group support
- Mental health and medical care
- Family therapy
- Holistic therapies like yoga, art, music, meditation, acupuncture, nutrition, and other healing practices
Get The Care You Need and Deserve
Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment is a leader in the addiction treatment field, with proven success in facilitating long-term recovery. Our team of top clinical & medical experts specializes in treating addiction coupled with mental illness, ensuring that each person receives individualized care. Call us – we’re available 24/day, 7 days/week.
Each treatment plan is tailored to meet the individual needs of the person. The majority of a person’s time will be spent on evidence-based treatments. Holistic therapies can be used to enhance their healing and promote relaxation and clarity.
During treatment, you can begin supporting your loved one by participating in family therapy with them. Family therapy sessions give each member of the family an opportunity to express their concerns and heal from the effects of addiction. Participating in your loved one’s recovery program is a great way to show them how much you care.
How to Support a Loved One During Rehab
One of the most important things you can do to support a loved one during rehab is to educate yourself about addiction and recovery. The more you understand this complex condition, the better able you will be to support your loved one on their recovery journey.
There are many forms of practical and emotional support you can offer your loved one during heroin treatment.
- Offer to take care of children or pets while your loved one is in heroin rehab–or, if you can’t, help find people who can
- Help your loved one figure out how to pay for rehab by calling their insurance provider or helping them set up a payment plan
- Offer rides to and from appointments
- Call to remind them about their appointments or treatment activities
- If appropriate, offer them a place to stay during rehab
- Tell your loved one you believe they can get better
- Say you love and support them frequently
- Talk about your concern and love–not about how angry or hurt you feel
- Remind them about why they are in treatment and what they are working toward
Above anything else, avoid anger, shame, or blame when talking to your loved one about going to treatment. Focus on your love and support, instead. Get support for yourself by going to counseling or joining a support group. Take care of yourself so you can continue to support a loved one during heroin rehab and recovery.
Learn More About Heroin Rehab at Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment
Heroin addiction is a serious, life-threatening condition. If you or someone you love requires addiction treatment, do not wait another day to get the help you need. With the right treatment and support, anyone can recover from addiction.
Our programs are comprehensive, adaptable, and designed to empower people as they regain control over their lives and recover from addiction. For information on how to get started, call to speak with one of our admissions counselors today.
blue cross blue shield
tufts health plan
- Specializes in outpatient services with a focus on substance abuse
- Expertise in reality-based therapy, CBT/DBT, and motivational interviewing
- Holds a Master’s Degree in Professional Counseling
Check Your Insurance Coverage
"*" indicates required fields
Begin The Journey To Lasting Recovery
We believe everyone struggling with substance use disorder deserves the treatment they need. Our team is here to help you every step of the way.
"*" indicates required fields