1. You Have a Moderate to Severe Alcohol or Opioid Use DisorderAddiction is diagnosed on a scale of mild, moderate, and severe. People with mild addictions may not need as intensive care as other individuals. However, people with moderate to severe addictions are more likely to struggle with cravings, relapse, and additional challenges in recovery. Vivitrol can reduce cravings as well as the risk for relapse, eliminating many of the difficulties people experience in early recovery. Vivitrol and other medications used in MAT are primarily used in people who struggle with moderate to severe substance use disorders. If you are evaluated by a doctor or mental health professional, and they determine your substance use disorder is moderate to severe, you may be a good candidate for a Vivitrol treatment program. Vivitrol is not approved for the treatment of any other substance use disorders besides alcohol and opioids. As a result, it is NOT for you if you are addicted to drugs like benzodiazepines, amphetamines, or muscle relaxers.
2. You Have Been Sober Before But Struggled With CravingsUnfortunately, relapse is a part of recovery for many people. Up to 40-60% of people who seek treatment for substance abuse relapse at some point in their recovery. If you’ve been sober before but relapsed partially due to your inability to cope with cravings, Vivitrol treatment may be right for you. Vivitrol helps eliminate cravings for opioids and alcohol so you can focus entirely on your treatment program. By placing your energy and attention on your treatment without having distracting thoughts of substance use, you are able to absorb as much information as possible. This will allow you to learn healthy coping skills, practice using them in your daily life, and figure out which coping skills work for you. Then, when you stop taking Vivitrol, you will be completely prepared to handle cravings and maintain your sobriety.
3. You Don’t Do Well With Adhering to Daily MedicationOther MAT medications like Suboxone, Subutex, and naltrexone oral must be taken on a daily basis. If you miss a dose of one of these medications, you can go into withdrawal and seriously set yourself back in your recovery. While taking a daily medication is no problem for some people, others struggle with medication adherence. They either forget to take their medication or stop taking their medication when they feel better. As a monthly injection, you don’t have to worry about taking Vivitrol every day. The only thing you have to worry about is making it to your scheduled visit each month for your next injection. If you struggle with taking medications daily or are worried you won’t be able to adhere to other treatment medications, the Vivitrol shot may be the best option for your sobriety.
4. You Are Addicted to Opioids But Can’t Take Buprenorphine MedicationsSome people who are addicted to opioids cannot take buprenorphine for one reason or another. Some are allergic to buprenorphine or have bad reactions to it, while others don’t believe in taking buprenorphine because they see it as a replacement for other opioids. Whether your body rejects buprenorphine or it goes against your beliefs, you have the right to ask for alternative medical treatments. If you are addicted to opioids but refuse to take other opioid replacement medications like buprenorphine, Vivitrol may be right for you. Vivitrol contains naltrexone, an opioid antagonist, that does not activate opioid receptors. It is also not habit-forming or addictive. Lastly, Vivitrol cannot be abused because it is only administered in a doctor’s office. You won’t be sent home with a prescription or left on your own to take the medication, so there is virtually no way you can abuse it even if you wanted to.
- Empty baggies with powder residue
- Burnt spoons
- Used needles
- A belt or other material to tie off
- Items like cotton or cigarette filters
Get The Care You Need and Deserve
Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment is a leader in the addiction treatment field, with proven success in facilitating long-term recovery. Our team of top clinical & medical experts specializes in treating addiction coupled with mental illness, ensuring that each person receives individualized care. Call us – we’re available 24/day, 7 days/week.
Find Out if Vivitrol Treatment is Right For YouHere at Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment, we provide each and every patient with a custom-tailored treatment program that addresses their unique needs. Our experienced medical and clinical staff will evaluate your needs and help you determine whether or not Vivitrol treatment in Massachusetts is right for you. And, if it’s not, we can help you find a treatment that will meet your specific needs and treatment goals. Don’t wait any longer. Contact us today to speak with a dedicated addiction specialist and see if our drug and alcohol treatment program is right for you.
blue cross blue shield
tufts health plan
- Specializes in outpatient services with a focus on substance abuse
- Expertise in reality-based therapy, CBT/DBT, and motivational interviewing
- Holds a Master’s Degree in Professional Counseling
Check Your Insurance Coverage
"*" indicates required fields
Begin The Journey To Lasting Recovery
We believe everyone struggling with substance use disorder deserves the treatment they need. Our team is here to help you every step of the way.
"*" indicates required fields