Nearly 50% of people who struggle with substance use disorder during their lives will also experience a co-occurring mental health condition. The same is true for people who struggle with mental illness–nearly half of these individuals will abuse and become addicted to substances at some point in their lives.
Substance abuse and mental illness exacerbate the symptoms of each other and complicate the recovery process. Individuals with co-occurring disorders may be more likely to relapse, leave rehab early, and face long-term consequences as a result of their addiction. Fortunately, dual diagnosis treatment programs in Massachusetts can address both conditions simultaneously and produce better treatment outcomes.
What is Dual Diagnosis Treatment?
Dual diagnosis treatment is addiction treatment that is intended to treat people who also struggle with a co-occurring mental health condition. This approach integrates psychosocial interventions, medication management, motivational interviewing, and cognitive-behavioral therapy in both group and individual settings to address substance use disorders and mental health conditions.
In addition to these evidence-based treatment modalities, patients also participate in a variety of activities and services that are intended to enhance the recovery process. For example, patients may participate in support groups, guided meditations, nutritional counseling, and more. These activities help teach patients how to live healthy, balanced lives.
Treatment usually happens in the following stages:
- Intake and assessment – admissions coordinators and the clinical team work together to conduct a comprehensive assessment of the patient’s situation and treatment needs to develop a custom-tailored plan of action for recovery.
- Medically-assisted detox – patients detox in a medical setting with 24/7 supervision, medications, and peer support. This clears the system of substances, ensures patient safety during withdrawal, and prepares patients for starting the treatment process.
- Treatment – dual diagnosis treatment combines aspects of drug rehab with mental health counseling to address both conditions at the same time.
- Aftercare – co-occurring disorders must be managed on a long-term basis because they cannot be cured. Aftercare usually consists of sober living, therapy, 12-Step meetings, and alumni programs.
Mental Health Conditions That Can Benefit From Dual Diagnosis Treatment
Anyone who struggles with a co-occurring health condition, or who has a family history of mental illness, can benefit from a dual diagnosis rehab program in Massachusetts. Examples of co-occurring disorders include:
- Anxiety disorders (generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and phobia-related conditions)
- Depression (major depressive disorder, seasonal affective disorder)
- Bipolar disorder (all types)
- Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Personality disorders (borderline personality disorder, narcissistic personality disorder, avoidant personality disorder, etc.)
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Benefits of Dual Diagnosis Rehab
Mental health conditions and substance use disorder are closely intertwined, and they also have many overlapping symptoms. For example, common risk factors contribute to both addiction and mental illness. People who struggle with co-occurring conditions may struggle with similar things such as isolation, poor decision-making, and a lack of executive function.
Sadly, mental health conditions can contribute to substance abuse, and substance abuse can lead to the development of a mental health condition. At the same time, leaving a co-occurring mental health condition untreated while seeking treatment for addiction can cause that mental health condition to progressively get worse, and ultimately lead to a drug or alcohol relapse.
The good news is dual diagnosis treatment programs in Massachusetts address both addiction and mental health at the same time to improve treatment outcomes. A few benefits of this approach include:[2,3]
- Learn how to cope with symptoms of mental health which reduces the need for self-medication
- Learn relapse prevention tools that promote sobriety which can improve mental health
- Get prescribed the right medications for a patient’s unique symptoms
- Reduce the risk for relapse after treatment
- Increase patient’s ability to remain in treatment for the full duration of their treatment plan
- Receive both types of services (mental health care and behavioral health care) in one singular setting
- Improve patients’ ability to gain and maintain employment after rehab
- Reduce criminal and risky behaviors that are associated with substance abuse
Get The Care You Need and Deserve
Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment is a leader in the addiction treatment field, with proven success in facilitating long-term recovery. Our team of top clinical & medical experts specializes in treating addiction coupled with mental illness, ensuring that each person receives individualized care. Call us – we’re available 24/day, 7 days/week.
Find a Dual Diagnosis Treatment Center in Massachusetts Today
Studies show that up to 55.8% of people who struggle with co-occurring mental health and substance use problems have not yet received the treatment they need to live healthy, self-directed lives. If you are part of this 55.8%, it’s important to know that help is available and that you can live a sober, happy life–our team at Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment can show you how.
Co-occurring disorders can make you feel hopeless as if no approach to recovery will work for you. With a treatment success rate that is higher than the national average, we guarantee you’ll get the care you need to get better. Our treatment programs are custom-tailored to meet your unique needs and are constantly adjusted according to your progress in treatment.
If you’re ready to begin your recovery journey, we’re here to help. Call now to speak with an admissions counselor to see if our dual diagnosis rehab program is right for you.
blue cross blue shield
tufts health plan
- Specializes in outpatient services with a focus on substance abuse
- Expertise in reality-based therapy, CBT/DBT, and motivational interviewing
- Holds a Master’s Degree in Professional Counseling
Check Your Insurance Coverage
"*" indicates required fields
Begin The Journey To Lasting Recovery
We believe everyone struggling with substance use disorder deserves the treatment they need. Our team is here to help you every step of the way.
"*" indicates required fields