1. Long-Term Rehab Offers the Best Outcomes for Overcoming Opioid AddictionLong-term treatment is highly regarded as the most effective form of addiction rehab. This is because addiction is a complex and chronic disease, meaning it requires long-term dedication and practice for you to make a full recovery. According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, “Research indicates that most addicted individuals need at least 3 months in treatment to significantly reduce or stop their drug use and that the best outcomes occur with longer durations of treatment.” Addiction is a condition that can include relapse when it is not properly managed. Just like other chronic conditions like diabetes, addiction recovery requires constant maintenance and commitment to maintaining lifelong sobriety. Because of this, it is always better to attend a long-term rehab program when you suffer from opioid addiction.
2. Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) Can Last For a Few MonthsPost-acute withdrawal syndrome (PAWS) is a type of withdrawal that lasts longer than the typical withdrawal timeline. This condition is most common among those suffering from opioid use disorder. According to research, “It is estimated that 90 percent of recovering opioid users experience the syndrome to some degree.” The symptoms of post-acute withdrawal syndrome for opioid addiction include:
- Brain fog
- Urges and cravings to use opioids
- Irritability or hostility
- Insomnia or vivid dreams
- Issues with fine motor coordination
- Stress sensitivity
- Anxiety or panic
- Lack of motivation
- Less ability to focus
- Mood swings
3. Drug Cravings Can Be OverwhelmingWhen you are recovering from opioid addiction, you will experience something known as drug cravings. Have you ever felt an extremely strong urge to use opioids? If so, you have probably experienced a drug craving. Dealing with drug cravings can be difficult, especially when they are severe. Drug cravings can make you feel like the world will end unless you get your hands on some opioids. If you do not have the proper support, this could lead to a relapse. Long-term opioid rehab is of the utmost importance because overcoming cravings doesn’t happen overnight. These programs can provide you with the support and medications you need to soothe your symptoms or completely avoid experiencing cravings altogether while you establish healthy coping skills to deal with cravings appropriately.
4. Long-Term Rehab Gives You Ample Time to Recover From Mental Health ConditionsAccording to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, “Of the 20.3 million adults with substance use disorders, 37.9% also had mental illnesses.” This means that a large number of people who struggle with addiction also have a co-occurring mental health disorder. If you struggle with feelings of anxiety, depression, or any other mental health conditions, you must receive treatment or the symptoms will cause you to relapse. Thankfully, long-term opioid addiction treatment facilities provide ample time for you to recover from both your substance use disorder and your mental illness. These programs can provide you with behavioral therapies, group counseling sessions, and medications to help manage the symptoms of your mental health condition.
5. More Time to Work on Relapse Prevention PlanningOne of the most important aspects of addiction treatment is relapse prevention planning. These plans include services and tools that you can use in times of need to prevent yourself from experiencing a relapse. This is extremely important if you struggle with a severe opioid use disorder, as relapsing on these substances can lead to a life-threatening overdose. Relapse prevention plans provide the following services:
- List of triggers personal to your loved one
- List of coping mechanisms to use in times of need
- Ways to manage cravings if they occur
- Continuing programs and support through 12-step meetings and alumni groups
- Writing a list of consequences should you relapse
- Attending a support meeting
- Continued therapy and psychiatry
Participating in a long-term rehab program for opioid addiction will provide you with a lot of time to fine-tune your relapse prevention plan.
Get The Care You Need and Deserve
Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment is a leader in the addiction treatment field, with proven success in facilitating long-term recovery. Our team of top clinical & medical experts specializes in treating addiction coupled with mental illness, ensuring that each person receives individualized care. Call us – we’re available 24/day, 7 days/week.
Find Out if Long-Term Rehab for Opioid Addiction is Right For YouIf you or a loved one suffer from opioid addiction, it’s time to receive professional help. However, you must make the right choice when it comes to choosing a rehab center. One of the benefits of a long-term addiction treatment program is that it will allow you to gain all of the tools you need to successfully maintain lifelong recovery. Here at Woburn Wellness, our team of qualified admissions coordinators is available 24 hours a day to take your call and help you make the right decision for your care. Call now to get started with a risk-free, confidential consultation.
blue cross blue shield
tufts health plan
- Specializes in outpatient services with a focus on substance abuse
- Expertise in reality-based therapy, CBT/DBT, and motivational interviewing
- Holds a Master’s Degree in Professional Counseling
Check Your Insurance Coverage
"*" indicates required fields
Begin The Journey To Lasting Recovery
We believe everyone struggling with substance use disorder deserves the treatment they need. Our team is here to help you every step of the way.
"*" indicates required fields