What is Evidence-Based Addiction Treatment?Evidence-based addiction treatment is substance abuse treatment that is founded on the concept of using individualized, evidence-based practices. In order for a practice to be evidence-based, it must meet all three of the following:
- Treatment is based on the professional’s clinical expertise
- Treatments are proven to be high-quality based on evidence and external research
- Treatment takes into account the client’s values, interests, beliefs, experiences, culture, religion, and medical necessity
There are two main types of evidence-based practices used in addiction treatment: evidence-based pharmacotherapies and evidence-based psychotherapies.
Examples of evidence-based psychotherapies in addiction treatment include:
- Taking more of the medication than you are supposed to
- Continuing to take the medication longer than prescribed
- Taking the medication for a different purpose than prescribed, such as to help with social anxiety or to get “high”
- Spending a lot of time thinking about the medication, especially about when you get to take it next
- Taking someone else’s prescription opioid medication
How Do You Know if a Drug Rehab Center is Evidence-Based?Not every addiction treatment provider uses evidence-based practices. To find out if the rehab center you are interested in provides evidence-based addiction treatment, you can ask them the following questions:
- What therapies do you use?
- Do you use clinically-supported treatments?
- What are your success rates and how do you measure them?
- When is the last time you updated your treatment strategy?
- What is the research your practices are based on?
- Does each patient receive their own individualized treatment plan?
Non-evidence-based rehab centers may disguise the fact that their practices aren’t evidence-based by using buzzwords like “wellness-focused,” “non-medicinal,” or “alternative approaches.” While alternative therapies and treatments can be effective, and many do benefit the recovery process, they do not have as much scientific backing as evidence-based practices do.
Why is Evidence-Based Substance Abuse Treatment the Best Approach to Recovery?
Scientifically sound treatments have been studied, analyzed, peer-reviewed, and proven effective. In order to be proven effective, these practices must be compared to experimental controls to verify their efficacy. They are studied over long periods of time using a rigorous and systematic process.
On another note, when you’re seeking help for addiction, you want to receive the best possible care. You want to be sure that the rehab center you choose will place you on the right path by providing you with the skills and resources you need to stay sober.
Research shows that people are more likely to achieve long-term recovery if they learn how to manage their addiction through behavioral therapies and post-treatment strategies that have been proven effective in a clinical setting. As a result, the best option for you is to choose an addiction treatment center that uses proven, evidence-based practices.
Get The Care You Need and Deserve
Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment is a leader in the addiction treatment field, with proven success in facilitating long-term recovery. Our team of top clinical & medical experts specializes in treating addiction coupled with mental illness, ensuring that each person receives individualized care. Call us – we’re available 24/day, 7 days/week.
Find Evidence-Based Addiction Treatment in Massachusetts TodayOur approach at Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment is firmly grounded in the philosophy that life choices and the skills to influence those choices can break the cycle of addiction and return people to a life of purpose. We offer a person-centered program that fully recognizes and adheres to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration’s (SAMHSA) newly established definition that recovery is a process of change through which individuals improve their health and wellness, live a self-directed life, and strive to reach their full potential. Our clinical assessment is predicated on the American Society of Addiction Medicine’s (ASAM) placement criteria, the most widely used and comprehensive set of guidelines for placement, continued stay, and transfer/discharge of patients with addiction and co-occurring conditions. Our approach and assessment, combined with our application of evidence-based therapies, is why our successful completion rate is near twice the national average. Needless to say, when you choose Woburn Wellness, your recovery is in the right hands. Don’t wait any longer to get the care you deserve. Call now to speak with one of our dedicated admissions coordinators.
blue cross blue shield
tufts health plan
- Specializes in outpatient services with a focus on substance abuse
- Expertise in reality-based therapy, CBT/DBT, and motivational interviewing
- Holds a Master’s Degree in Professional Counseling
Check Your Insurance Coverage
"*" indicates required fields
Begin The Journey To Lasting Recovery
We believe everyone struggling with substance use disorder deserves the treatment they need. Our team is here to help you every step of the way.
"*" indicates required fields