The Pros and Cons of Traveling For Rehab
Millions of Americans struggle with addiction but do not get the treatment they need to overcome it. Delaying substance abuse treatment for months or even years can have some serious consequences, including long-term damage to your physical and mental health, financial issues, and legal trouble.
Deciding to get treatment is a big and important step towards a healthy life. Finding the right rehab center is important. There is no one-size-fits-all solution to a condition that is as complex and far-reaching as addiction. With so many choices for addiction treatment, finding the right one can feel overwhelming.
The first thing you will need to decide is whether you want to attend a local rehab center or one that is far from home. There are benefits to each choice, and the decision really comes down to your own needs and preferences. If you plan to attend rehab, we’ve put together a guide on how to make the important decision of whether or not traveling for rehab is right for you so that you can move forward with confidence in your choice.
The Benefits Of Traveling For Rehab
The decision to leave your home and travel can feel scary or like a breath of fresh air–it depends on your situation. For many people, choosing to seek treatment in another city or state is the right choice. Some of the benefits of traveling for rehab include:
- Having the chance at a fresh start
- Distance from triggers–you get space between you and the people, situations, and places that are likely to cause a relapse
- Lack of choice–you may not have good choices for rehab nearby and will need to travel
- Reduced risk of feeling the desire to leave rehab early
- No pressure to “hide” the fact you are going to rehab from friends, coworkers, or neighbors
For many people, especially those who live in small towns, traveling to rehab is a necessity. Others may choose it for other reasons. Traveling to another state for rehab can be a good way to get the treatment you need in a safe, secure, supportive environment.
Reasons You Might Choose Not to Travel For Rehab
Some people have a local rehab facility that is a good fit for them and decide to seek treatment locally. Others may choose to stay close to home for other reasons. Some of the benefits to getting substance abuse treatment locally include:
- Save money–rehab can be more affordable if you do not have to pay for travel expenses and lodging
- Stay close to your support system/family
- Easier aftercare planning–when you get treatment locally, they can refer you to local support groups or programs to continue your work in recovery
- Developing new relationships–the friends you make in rehab are more likely to also live in the area
Finding high-quality treatment at a qualified center is the most important thing. Whether you choose to travel or get treatment locally, it is important to find a reputable rehab facility that offers the adaptable programs you need.
How to Choose the Right Rehab For You
Choosing to get treatment is life-changing. It is important to understand that recovering from addiction is an ongoing process, and you will need to maintain your commitment for life. The first step is getting substance abuse treatment. Choosing the right center is important so that you can stay committed, do the work, and feel confident in your choice.
There are some important things to consider before choosing to enroll in any rehab program, whether it is nearby or far away. These include:
- Making sure staff are licensed and trained appropriately
- Staffing is up to legal standards
- Most of the treatment time is spent engaging in evidence-based therapies
- There is a focus on aftercare planning
- Programs are adaptable
- Strict admission criteria
- A calm, serene environment
- Predictable schedule
Call the center and ask questions. Do research to find out how staff members deal with relapses, what the visitor policy is, and how they involve other family members during treatment programs. This is especially important if you are going to be traveling for rehab. Doing a little research ahead of time will allow you to feel safe and confident about your choice, no matter where you choose to receive treatment.
Find Out if Traveling for Rehab is Right For You
If you or someone you love are struggling with addiction and require treatment, you are not alone. At Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment, we believe that the decision to get treatment could be the biggest one you ever make. That’s why we offer high-quality, adaptable addiction treatment programs that are designed to support and empower people at every stage of recovery from addiction.
If you are ready to receive life-changing treatment, we want to work with you to help you find the care you deserve. Call now to get started.