What Are PHP Programs Like in Massachusetts?
Partial hospitalization programs (PHPs) offer intensive addiction treatment services to people struggling with drug and alcohol abuse. They are considered a step-down from residential treatment because they do not require an overnight stay, however, some do offer on-site living environments. At the same time, PHP in Massachusetts provides more hours of therapy than the average outpatient program. As a result, PHPs are thought to be a highly effective, yet flexible option for people in recovery.
What Are Partial Hospitalization Programs (PHPs)?
Partial hospitalization programs are commonly referred to as PHP or day treatment. At Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment, our PHP in Massachusetts requires patients to meet with the clinical team for at least 25 hours per week. Most patients will attend treatment five times per week, Monday thru Friday, from 9:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M. How long PHP lasts depends on an individual’s unique needs.
Outside of treatment during the day, patients are able to live in the comfort of their own homes or in a nearby sober living home. Others may live at an on-site housing facility with 24/7 supervision. Even though PHP is the highest level of care offered at Woburn, it is still flexible enough to allow some patients to go to work in the evening or on the weekends. It can also allow parents to care for their kids after school or daycare without making the sacrifice of leaving home for a 30, 60, or 90-day stay at an inpatient rehab.
PHP gives patients access to the same treatment services they would receive at a residential treatment program. Patients are able to participate in behavioral therapy, holistic healing activities, and more. They will also be able to meet with a doctor regularly for medications if needed.
The goal of PHP is to allow individuals to focus on maintaining lifelong recovery by giving them access to a structured, yet flexible environment. PHP maximizes the treatment experience while minimizing high-risk encounters that could otherwise drive a patient to relapse.
Substance Abuse Therapies Used in PHP in Massachusetts
Partial hospitalization programs are run by medical and clinical professionals who specialize in treating addiction. Addiction is a complex disease that is best treated using integrated treatment and behavioral therapy. It is also a multifaceted disorder that often needs a variety of different therapies for effective treatment. As a result, PHP in Massachusetts may consist of several different therapeutic services. These include:
- Individual therapy – All treatment services are specialized to meet each patient’s unique needs. Individual therapy sessions allow patients to work directly with a primary therapist who will help develop this individualized treatment program. These sessions allow individuals to explore personal issues, monitor their progress, and celebrate successes.
- Group therapy – Group sessions give patients the opportunity to relate to other like-minded individuals. Groups are facilitated by at least one therapist but are primarily driven by the patients. Patients work together to discuss their issues and help one another develop more positive coping skills.
- Behavioral therapy – Therapies like cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) help patients identify thought patterns that lead to substance abuse and regulate their emotions to cope in more positive ways.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT) – MAT combines behavioral therapy, peer support, and medications to help patients with addictions to opioids or alcohol stay sober.
- Exercise and nutrition – Many PHPs in Massachusetts offer recreational activities or classes to help patients stay on top of their fitness and nutrition. Regular exercise and a healthy diet can help improve a person’s mood, mental state, and overall well-being.
- Relapse prevention – These sessions focus on helping patients learn about relapse triggers and relapse prevention strategies.
Additionally, patients who struggle with co-occurring disorders can participate in dual diagnosis treatment that targets both issues.
Elements of PHP
PHP programs in Massachusetts employ a team of highly trained addiction experts who specialize in many different fields. This team is made up of psychiatrists, social workers, mental health professionals, substance abuse counselors, doctors, nurses, and behavioral health technicians. The team works together to offer extensive and personalized care to all patients.
After an initial evaluation, the team creates a unique treatment plan for each individual. This treatment plan will consist of several different elements, including:
- Counseling sessions
- Case manager involvement
- Medication management
- Coordination of care with other healthcare providers
- Family support and therapy
- Support groups
- Relapse prevention
- Discharge or aftercare planning
Unlike detox, PHP focuses on treating not only the physical aspects of addiction, but the underlying mental, emotional, and spiritual aspects of it, as well. This sets the patient’s up for a successful recovery and perpetual growth.
Find a PHP in Massachusetts Today
PHP drug and alcohol treatment programs in Woburn, Massachusetts offer people of all walks of life the care and support they need to begin their recovery journey. Using evidence-based treatments, FDA-approved medications, and peer support tools, patients at Woburn Wellness Addiction Treatment have access to the highest quality care around.
To learn more about our PHP and other treatment programs or to find help for yourself or a loved one, pick up the phone and give us a call today.